Sunday, July 19, 2009

Hopscotch Mat


This is a really fun project to make, well it was except for the grip mat on the back. My first hurdle was sewing it onto the back of the fabric as if does not slide through machine and you have to pull it. Finally I got it on and then I put some shop bias binding over the top of the edge to secure it more.

I sandwiched it with some felted fleece so it was soft for those little feet. Basting it around the edges was very tricky as the grip underneath kept sticking on the machine plate so it took a very long time to do. Luckily I had all that bias binding left over from yesterday sewing as I ran out of time to do the one I wanted. The next hurdle was putting on the bias as I decided I could not sew around it again with the grip on the bottom so I cheated and just pinned the bias and sewed through it from the back, hence the corners are awful but I hoping a four year old wont be too critical ;-) That is when I discovered that the backing had shifted (even with the amount of quilting pins I had in it) and now it had cut off some of the back bias (you can see in the bottom right corner of the photo) - ARGH sob sob. Had to push on as the party time was drawing near. Finished the binding and then made some beanie bags to go with the mat.


Next time I will do things differently and add the grip at the end. Or find some other way to make the sewing a little easier.

The birthday girl seemed to be happy with her new game and that is what counts.

While I was sewing madly to get it finished (and fighting with the grip LOL) I was trying to keep the kids happy and entertained. lulu was sitting with me cutting paper shapes, and she was talking away which BAD MUMMY replied, "Yes" "Ah ha" "Ok honey" etc. Then I turned around and saw a very guilty look on her face and a bundle of hair in her hand :-0 .


BAD MUMMY AWARD for sure!!!!

Before we left I tried to get a picture of Lulu in her Kyoko dress but she was in a funny mood just jumping around and being silly so this is the best I could get.

Side View

Silly faces

We had a lovely time at the party and we are now well and truly exhausted the sign of a good day.

Thanks for stopping by ...

4 comments:

  1. Love, love, love the mat what a greta idea, I am sure it will get heaps of use. I think it was worth every effort and all the time you put into it I am sure LuLu will wish for one soon. The dress looks great on her, I gather she is considering hairdressing or maybe not. Great to see everything worked out perfect. Catch you soon, S

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a great gift for a 4 year old i am sure Noora loved it and now she can play hopscotch indoors too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow...fabulous idea...and great finishing...It really worth all the effort.

    Lulu looks pretty in her new dress..

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just thought I would pop back and let you know that Lulu's hair is not THAT noticeable now LOL

    ReplyDelete