Sunday, July 12, 2009

The Bodkin a.k.a. Benny Bodkin

Do you thread elastic, ribbon or cord often? I do and I love using this little fella, a Bodkin. Not available here in Oman sorry ladies but available online or maybe on your next visit to a foreign country where they have lovely sewing shops.

Why use one? Well I am not a great fan of the safety pin as sometimes it can open mid way through and then it is a real bugger to get out. Recently I did use a safety pin as I had misplaced my good friend benny bodkin and I am horrified to tell you that I left the safety pin in and the next day quickly tried on the pants to check the waist fitting then GULP I sewed up the back and left the safety pin in there. Do you know it was weeks of wearing before it spring open and was discovered while ironing. Bad Mummy! So now I make sure I turn to benny for my threading needs.

Here he is in action...

I like to run a few stitches through the ribbon, elastic, cord etc. to secure it in place.

Thread through the casing.

Out he comes the other end. Nice and blunt no fears of any finger pricking.

Ok so I admit he is a "nice to have" but a good tool nonetheless.

3 comments:

  1. To save the stitched I pull the elastic/cord to the other end of the bodkin along the center slit. The bodkin works as a clamp to hold the elastic. Then I have the big end to guide through the casing. No youwant a 19 month old who doesn't sleep I know someone who is happy to pass one on ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think me want one of those!! Handy tool to have, i have seen them around in blogs bue never in action.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Tracy I am just not getting that image? How does it stay on the other end?

    Maybe Michael and my two sleepless delights could get together and work it out while we sew and chat? We just need to work out this mass distance between us ;-)

    ReplyDelete