Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Playdough Time

Today is a holiday here so it was a family day in the house. Nothing too exciting happening and while it looks like it must be raining somewhere in Muscat it sadly is not here.

Ali put up the shelf in the boys room but this time I stood at his side with the vacum cleaner while he drilled as I could not bear the thought of all that fine dust everywhere again. It worked a charm.

I have been on the hunt for Cream of Tartar for months and all the supermarkets have not had any in stock (it gets like that here sometimes). A friend of mine snatched up some as it was being unpacked the other day in the supermarket so I was thrilled to be able to make a batch of playdough as we have been without any for some time and I find it a great distraction while I am cooking. This batch turned out really smooth and it got the thumbs up from Laith and Lulu.

We use the traditional recipe.

1 cup flour, 1 cup warm water, 1 teaspoon oil, 1/4 cup salt and 2 teaspoons of cream of tartar. Then what ever colouring you choose. The recipe often says to add the colour while cooking but I like to make a double batch then divide it into four and then add the colouring at the end. You need to squish and squish it thought your fingers until the colour gets stronger as shown in the picture below. Just add all the ingedients into a saucepan and then cook over a medium heat until it creates a smooth ball. Then turn out onto the bench and let cool. At this stage I divide it and add the colours. When you are finished playing just seal it in an airtight container or ziplock bag.

Teachnet.com has a few different recipes you can try if you are interested.

I finished my project last night. Will come back later and show you. Dinner time soon.

Ciao Ciao

1 comment:

  1. Love the colours. We do it the same way as you, adding the colour afterwards.

    We have the cream of tar tar shortage going on here as well and our last playdough was put to rest before we left for summer. :(

    ReplyDelete