Friday, March 13, 2009

Frugal Kitchen Wipes

I have long been a fan of reusable kitchen wipes. Every meal we take three wipes and wet them and place one at each child's table setting. That way they clean as they go or as needed. Then they get washed and reused. No wasting paper towels / tissues etc. I will move to cloth napkins at a later stage but right now they need something that can be wet so cheap is cheerful is the way.

I buy a 12 pack of face washers. Cost RO1.400 (about AUD$5) then I serge them into quarters,

giving you 48 wipes, so it works out to be 30 baiza a wipe (about 10 cents) and I replace them every two months with a new batch as they get some pretty serious wear and tear. After each meal we throw them into a bucket

and they are washed every second day along with the tea towels, hand towels etc.

Can you believe when I started doing this a few years ago I use to make them with one side flannel and the other terry and stitch and turn them, was I mad or did I have too much time on my hands? Now it's 20 minutes on the serger and then half an hour in front of the TV trimming the threads etc.

Ok so this one of those, "oh my that was interesting" posts LOL! I'll whip up something better for the next post I promise ... define "better" ;-)

Bye for now...

1 comment: