Oh I am so excited to finish these. I have to be honest and say they have been a Work In Progress (WIP) for about a month and now I am giddy with excitement that they are finished , oh how my life has changed getting giddy over a bean bag on my "weekend" night ;-)
I got the tutorial here. I wouldn't say it is hard but it is time consuming (maybe not so much if you do 1 and not 3 hey?). The fiddly bit is the top and bottom applique. I chose to embroider things that are relative to each child. Lujayne and her "Princess" craze, Laith and his knights and Sami, well just because he is a monkey to me LOL!
The top of all 3
(click on pics for a larger view)
(click on pics for a larger view)
The bottom of all 3
Each has their name appliqued down one panel which again takes some time but I think it makes them special. They are not big bean bags but perfectly sized for children. From the top point to the bottom unfilled is about 38" (96.5cm).
I made the inner with some inexpensive sheeting and the outer fabrics I got from "my guy" in Ruwi all for about 800 baiza a metre (USD$2 AUD$3.15 ). The blue and black jean pocket denim was 60" wide so great value.
All up it was a fairly inexpensive project. I got the beans from Ace Hardware on my last trip to Dubai just in case any local gals are reading and get excited that you can get them here, no sorry :-(
Getting the beans in the bag liner now that is another story ...
Here is Lulu's
Laith's
and Sami's
There was really only one thing that I do not like about them and that is the closure. It has velcro strips sewn into the side of one of the panels. Not easy to get velcro to sit nicely on a curve. After the first one was finished I had thought of snapping the other two but I feared that it would make the fabric pucker our in between snaps (like on a blouse that is too tight). So I persevered and in the end it was not too bad.
Why make them? It simple they don't sell bean bags here. Strange huh. A friend of mine did manage to snag some a few months ago at Carrefour but they were all sold out immediately and the other thing is that the beans were straight inside so there was no way to wash it IYKWIM.
It was hard to keep Sami off his when I was taking photos,
that must be a good sign. (His is a little too full, might take some beans out .... but not today!)
I can't wait to get over to the Crafty Mummas forum and tick this one off my list! Next, curtains and a bedspread for Lujaynes "new" room.
Thanks for looking....
Wonderful. They will get so much use.
ReplyDeleteLove them Clo! The kids look thrilled with them :) Well done!
ReplyDelete