Being a Mother is incredibly rewarding. It is also at times very hard work, a labour of love from day one
I have to admit that today I am feeling a little overwhelmed. To say that aloud makes me feel like I am failing and of course the rational side of me knows that is not true but I still can not help but feel I could be doing all this mothering stuff a whole lot better!
Yesterday I took Sami back to the Pediatric Orthopedic Surgeon to check on his leg. We had the cast put on last Thursday then I had to cut if off him on Sunday after he soaked it when playing with the hose outside (the eyes in the back of my head must have been taking a wee rest at the time) and we decided to leave it off and see how he gets on with walking. He is walking but I notice a definite swing in his walk. The Doctor says that he has Hypermobility Syndrome which in layman's terms means he is very flexible and can move his limbs in ways that others can not. Last week on examining Sami the Dr said he has an extra bone in both feet which is commonly called an Accessory Navicular which should not give him any bother. In addition to these two issues it appears that Sami also has Intoeing Gait which in most children will correct itself by the age of 8. In earlier days doctors would have recommended braces, special shoes or even surgery but these days they say there is little evidence that this helps and surgery is a final an extreme option.
Sami usually sits on the floor in the “w” position and the doctor has asked me to stop him doing this yet tonight I have read on two different websites that this is comfortable for children with Femoral Anteversion and to just leave them so I may need to research this further.
When we went into the doctors office he asked me when Sami had his fall and I looked at him blankly and started to explain the bed incident but he stopped me and said no not the original fall this recent one (pointing to Sami’s scratched knee). I looked at his knee and do you know I could not tell him when he did that. Yes my friends that is what they call a “bad mommy moment”, sigh. Sami might be more prone to trips and falls and it something I just need to keep an eye on.
Sami’s leap of his bed and subsequent injury was a blessing in disguise because now we are aware of the other issues and can take the necessary steps to help him and keep him safe.
There is something deep inside me that questions if his hip issues are not somehow related to his speech and eating difficulties not to mention the increasing occurrences of those terrible tantrums. I have made an appointment with our Pediatrician next week to discuss this further. Maybe I am just being an overanxious mother … I hope so.
So for now I just try and manage the best I can. These low days will come and go I know and if I am to count my blessings they certainly outweigh the struggles and difficulties I face daily.
Thanks for stopping by …
Ah hang in there Isra! It will all work out.
ReplyDeleteWhat beautiful children you have! I hope you figure things out and all is well.
ReplyDelete