Lets start off with one of my favourite foods … Pancakes!
Today is Shrove Tuesday which is the last day before Lent begins for Christians around the world. Shrove Tuesday gets its name from the ritual of shriving that Christians used to undergo in the past. In shriving, a person confesses their sins and receives absolution for them. It is in preparation for Lent which long ago people use to fast the 40 days but now it is not very common to fast although many Catholics still observe the tradition of not eating meat on Fridays during lent. Many others give up something for Lent. I was explaining this to the kids tonight as we feasted on pancakes after dinner and I was getting blank faces I stopped and said “it is like Ramadan when Muslims fast and pray and reflect more and then they celebrate at Eid, and Catholics celebrate at Easter” which of course had the immediate response of “What is Easter” and the thought of trying to explain the resurrection of Christ was too much at that time of the evening with the bath battle looming so I smiled and said “so who’s for more pancakes”.
This morning I took a trip up to Ramez a large shop in seeb that sells all kinds of things fairly cheap. I don’t get up there much but when I do it is a bit hit and miss as it depends on what stock they have in at the time as it changes weekly. Today was I hit the jackpot on craft supplies but not for the one actual item I was looking for LOL.
Today my best find, and there were a few, was these hexagon wooden boxes with little divided sections inside. Of course they come empty! Thank you to my friend Alia who put me onto them and helped me lighten my purse!
A bargain at 1 rial ($2.50) each, I got three! I thought one would be good for Laith to store his lego star wars bits and pieces too.
Then I found little containers of foil shapes, buttons, letters etc. which were the princely sum of 100 baiza (25 cents) each. Then there was the bag of shells and bags of marbles for 250 baiza (65 cents) and some foam sticky letters 500 baiza ($1.30). I put together this box for our craft time at home as the kids love sticking things to pictures, cards and so on. Altogether the filled craft box me 2.500 rials (about $6) and that will last us a while. it would be nice to paint them but if I waited to do that they will be sitting there a year from now, ha-ha.
I also purchased some other great things like gift bags, hair clips, pens and craft supplies in bulk as lets face it you can never have too many glue sticks in a house with three crafty munchkins can you?
Thanks for stopping by …
yay yay yay yay!! You got three of them like me! I feel like a little star, thanks for mentioning me! Ali has his Bakugan in his. He painted it up too! Amal and I still have not opened ours!
ReplyDeleteFunny, Ali stayed home and i made pancakes for him but ironically, not because of Shrove Tuesday! I have to call my Mom and ask her what we did as Catholics coming from South America because I just don't remember that word until I came over here and we certainly did not eat pancakes! Interesting!
what a wonderful day I have such great memories when we were kids mum making the batter before we went to school and us eating as many as humanly possible for dinner that night. XXoo S
ReplyDeleteI am with you Alia, pancakes are great on any day ;-)
ReplyDeleteI am thinking I need to get a few more boxes but they are probably all gone now, you know what that place is like.
They have been there for a few weeks and I was so surprised that we got some! The octagonal shape is my favorite but there were others too, as I am sure you saw! Is it easy for you to get out there? It is not for me. I have to make a concerted effort! Good luck!
ReplyDelete