Wednesday, May 25, 2011

The Heat

Oh the heat. I am sure at the beginning of every summer I post the same sentiments, ha-ha, I am beginning to sound like an old woman!

I live in Oman. It is a hot country. I should get use to it. But my friends I don’t, or maybe I do and is just the acclimatizing period during May that I struggle with? Thankfully I don’t have a thermometer in my car like most people do as I think that would make it worse when it is 40 C at 8 in the morning. The thing is that you have to adjust your lifestyle as you can not run around and do things in the same way and not expect to get dehydrated, dizzy or cranky (just ask my kids about Mummy’s cranky outbursts this week Winking smile ). So we will up the water, slow down the pace and be thankfully for the air conditioning!

There are a few school events coming up over the next few weeks so I decided to make a big batch of the Neman Marcus cookies so that I had a few rolls of dough in the freezer ready to go for early morning baking. Today I used an ice-cream scoop to put the dough onto the trays and YES they looked more like Dana’s cookies that I posted about yesterday so I am thrilled.

IMG_0116

BUT my ice-cream scoop is too big and it is the smallest size available here in Muscat so I shall give a shout out to my darling sister Sharon and ask her if she can find a mini scoop for me as these babies were way too big but I love the texture the scoop gives them.

IMG_0117

My three taste testers were on hand to try the cookies.

IMG_0119

You can see Sami dunking his and true to form one bite and he put it down and said “I don’t like Mummy”. It is the oatmeal, even though I blend it to a powder he tastes it, grrrr I am not a very successful sneaky chef am I?!

Lulu said they were very “chunky” and “yummy”.

IMG_0121

I have 16 Jedi tunics to make and I have been procrastinating big time so off the computer for me and behind the machine I go for the night.

Thanks for stopping by…

3 comments:

  1. The cookies look great! Wow, the heat...my husband is from Kuwait and I can't imagine what it's like in those temperatures. I hear about it from family over there, never been there myself. We are planning a family trip to Kuwait within a few years but I hope it will be in December/January, just to hopefully avoid the 40 plus C ;-)))
    Have fun sewing tonight!

    Mariëtte from Holland

    ReplyDelete
  2. Clo, if your sister goes to a catering/restaurant supply they will have scoops in all sizes. They aren't cheap though. A long while back I bought a cookie scoop that was made by Oxo, and it's a tablespoon size. My other scoop came from a restaurant supply and is 1/4 cup which I use for my Choc chip cookies. I also use it to put muffin batter into the tin

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Sara, will mention that to her.

    I tried a melon scoop but without the thingey to release the dough it doesn't work as well.

    Mariette Kuwait is pretty hot too but it would be an interesting visit. A lot different from Holland. We have lots of families here from Holland on work assignments and I love hearing about their life at home.

    ReplyDelete