Sometimes my days feel like they need to be strategically planned in order to achieve anything, just like a military onslaught. Today I had three main things to achieve.
1. Clean my sewing room / office
2. Make cookies for tomorrows sports / games morning
3. Help Lujayne finish her “Homeland” poster for her classroom
I thought things were going well with #1 until Eyad woke 35 minutes after putting him down and then the rest of the morning was shot. I made a start and that has to count for something
# 2 I will discuss below.
and #3 I started but had to delegate to poor Ali as soon as he walked in the door as it was near bedtime and Eyad was tired, hungry and fed up of being the wonderfully patient baby that he is.
Ahhhh well tomorrow is another day LOL.
So lets get back to “Operation Cookie Dough” . Tomorrow Lulu and Sami’s classes are having a fun sports / games morning (the bigger kids have theirs on Wednesday) and we were asked to provide something for the snack table. I decided on cookies. I needed 60 for Lulu and 40 for Sami and then I figured I may as well bake more so I can freeze them to have on hand for the kids.
I love this recipe. It came to me years ago as an email about a woman who paid $250 for a recipe from Neiman Marcus by mistake. It works out the whole things was a hoax (read here) but that’s ok because I only care about the yummy cookies.
It is a VERY SIMPLE recipe (I did that in caps for my friend Sylvia who says she can not bake but I know she will be able to do this one ).
This is the original recipe (my changes are noted in red)
(Recipe may be halved which I usually do except today as I wanted a large amount): 2 cups butter (for convenience I use a 400g bar / stick of butter)
4 cups flour
2 tsp. baking soda (or Bicarb Soda here)
2 cups granulated sugar
2 cups brown sugar
5 cups blended oatmeal (measure oatmeal and blend in blender to a fine powder) (I use a tin of regular rolled oats)24 oz. chocolate chips (300g bag is enough)
1 tsp. salt 1 8 oz. Hershey bar (grated) (I think adding this makes them sickly sweet)
4 eggs
2 tsp. baking powder
3 cups chopped nuts (your choice) (this time I used 50 roasted hazelnuts and blended them in the food processor) (Be careful incase your intended cookie eaters have nut allergies)
2 tsp. vanilla
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F or 180 C. Take out two large cookie trays and place greaseproof paper on each (just helps with the washing up).
Blend the oatmeal in the food processor – set aside. Cream the butter and both sugars. Add eggs and vanilla; mix together with flour, oatmeal, salt, baking powder, and soda. Add chocolate chips, Hershey bar and nuts.
As this makes such a large amount either use a very large bowl or divide it up into two bowls to make the mixing easier.
Roll into balls and place two inches apart on a cookie sheet. My version is take a small pinch of dough and roll into a ball, place on the cookie tray a finger width apart.
Bake for 10 minutes at 375 degrees. Makes 112 cookies. Have Fun!!! I made 280 with the above recipe.
I have made these in the past a little bigger and added some mini marshmallows. They freeze really well and in fact the kids like them straight out of the freezer! When I have not had choc chips, which are often out of stock here, I get a block of chocolate and just smash it into chunks.
Thanks for stopping by…
Hi! Great recipe! Been using it for years myself especially for big jobs!
ReplyDelete