Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Cookie Testing

Yes folks there is no job harder than being an official cookie tester! For the upcoming party I thought I would try out a new cookie recipe for chocolate chip cookies posted by Dana over on the Made blog the other night.

Let me start by saying that Dana’s cookies look much better than mine but I think that has to do with how she scoops them and also using a tray that is NOT non-stick. (ok so that is my excuse for now Winking smile ).

Can I please take a moment to introduce you to our newest member of the kitchen family … it is Pat the mixer …

IMG_0102

(On behalf of all the appliances and humans in the kitchen we welcome you Pat and hope you will enjoy your new home and all those sticky fingers wiping your bowl clean!).

This recipe makes A LOT of cookies, in fact all up about 130 small cookies (don’t ask me how many calories that is I am just living in denial at the moment).  I followed her suggestion and froze the extra dough, 5 rolls which will make 75 cookies, ready for the party next week.

The mix is thick and I thought I was going to give Pat a meltdown on her first job but she did well.

I had a helper … please excuse the fact that she is still in her pj’s at 4pm.

IMG_0104

She stayed home today as I thought last night she was getting conjunctivitis but in fact she “only” has a black eye not very noticeable in the picture thank goodness.  She loved eating the cookie dough.

IMG_0105

My first batch were nothing like Dana’s and I figured that is because I rolled them into balls whereas she just scoops them out. For the second batch I scooped them and lined my non-stick pans with foil which seemed to help more with the spread.

IMG_0114

Chewie Wookiee Cookies is the name we have given them for the party in keeping with the Star Wars theme.

The verdict … well I like them but to be honest I still think I like the “fake Neman Marcus” ones are better.

The party preparations are going well but I feel that with only a week to go I might be having some very late nights if I don’t get my butt into gear. Did I mention that my Death Star Piñata exploded! Yes, very sad. Tomorrow I will try again.

My friend Louise in Australia told me about this site that she used when making invitations for her son’s party.  I downloaded the app and we have been having lots of fun with it …

IMG_0101

IMG_0098

Oh and so I can get a least one Good Mummy Star for the day this is what was for dinner. IMG_0113I am really loving the steamer  (aka Dr Phil). Tonight I even cooked rice in it, very swish Winking smile .

Thanks for stopping by …

2 comments:

  1. Dana's recipe is exactly my recipe, only hers is double. If you used shortening, that's what hinders the spread so if you want to try again, just decrease shortening and increase butter.

    Re your comment on my blog - yes, I'm doing great! With decisions made and plans for the future, I'm happier about my future than I've been in a long time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks Debbie, I think I feel these on my hips already! I am so glad things are moving in the right direction for you now too.

    ReplyDelete