Saturday, April 02, 2011

Spring Break

Today is the first day of the Spring Break and being a Saturday Ali was home to lend a hand so I have to say that today went pretty well Winking smile. We went out for a late lunch and little walk by the beach.

The kids only have one week off and already we have a few play dates lined up but to be honest I would be just as happy to lounge around the house with them, a little craft here, some reading there and little DVD and popcorn in between.

Last night Lulu and Sami mucked up something terrible and did not actually go to sleep until after 10pm. Tonight they were not allowed any TV (usually it is a DVD after dinner on a weekend or holiday night) so for about an hour they entertained themselves but I could see things were heading south and I went in to do something with them.

Lulu and I did some Pyssla beading and Sami thought he would thread beads

IMG_8630

but he soon became bored and decided being a doctor to poor sick mummy would be more fun!

IMG_8631

Lulu continued slowly putting her Pyssla beads on her tray.

IMG_8632

I tell you it is hard work when you have big ol fat fingers like mine.

and Ta-Da …

IMG_8635

Can you see Lulu’s name on my cup mat?

I am still getting the hang of ironing these and can anyone tell me are they supposed to still have the hole or melt into one another? 

IMG_8637I put the iron on medium and pressed in a circular motion for 10 seconds as recommended but it seems to take more but then I am not sure what it should look like? IMG_8641

And dear friends let me tell you that I am Queen Procrastination tonight. I should have been attacking Mount Mend-It but instead I threaded Lulu’s heart so she could wear it as a necklace.

IMG_8644

Anything to get out of mending … sadly there are no mending fairies around here and it will all be there in the morning Sad smile

 

World Autism Day – is today. I was surprised to read that Autism affects 1 in 110 children and 1 in 70 boys. This is taken from the Autism Speaks website …

How common is Autism?
Today, it is estimated that one in every 110 children is diagnosed with autism, making it more common than childhood cancer, juvenile diabetes and pediatric AIDS combined. An estimated 1.5 million individuals in the U.S. and tens of millions worldwide are affected by autism. Government statistics suggest the prevalence rate of autism is increasing 10-17 percent annually. There is not established explanation for this increase, although improved diagnosis and environmental influences are two reasons often considered. Studies suggest boys are more likely than girls to develop autism and receive the diagnosis three to four times more frequently. Current estimates are that in the United States alone, one out of 70 boys is diagnosed with autism.

But this fact made me a little more sad …

42% of children with autism say they have no friends

Take a moment, get informed and if you have children help them to understand autism too as it is likely they will know someone with Autism as some stage.

Thanks for stopping by …

6 comments:

  1. Hi there. Ali has round beads. Can you buy them here? We got a kit from America. He loved them and yes, they are meant to keep the holes. I have a house and a butterfly he made hanging beside me here in my sewing room. Autism; we think one of Waqar's nieces has it. She is five now and failed KG. She is very odd but my SIL says she is perfect. Denial! Is there an organization here in Muscat?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Clo

    We have the same beads from ikea and i called Hadeel to come and see Lulu's creations and she said "that is so pretty, can i do mine now mummy?" so off she went to get creative!

    Yes i found them tricky to iron too but i think they turned out perfectly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your beads look great as a necklace! I love holidays, my husband just went back to work after 4 weeks off, it's very sad!!
    My 3 and 5 year olds are really good at mucking around when they should be sleeping so I can empathise. Daylight savings has ended today so I hope that might help.
    Have a happy week, enjoy the children and don't stress!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My 16 year old has a friend who is autistic. When she comes over, she's very blunt. Your garage is messy. etc. Her mom used to set up play dates with kids her age during days off from school, summer, etc. My younger daughter loves to go over and play board games with her.

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOL, sometimes I think we need a blunt comment here or there to get us moving.

    Thanks for the pssyla feedback girls, we are getting better.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey! It is Kim from The Matthews Family blog.
    I have meant to write back to you for a while.....but I am really bad at comments!
    You are so sweet for making the nice comments on my blog. I really do appreciate it, and love having a friend so far away.
    I was thinking it might be fun for my Cassi to be a pen pal to your little Lulu....what do you think?
    You can e-mail me and send me your mailing address and Cassi can send a letter off ASAP! Cassi would love a friend from far away!
    my email is madi_bell@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete