Friday, April 29, 2011

Parenting … a minefield.

 

Here is something for me to think about taken from Raising Small Souls blog tonight …

The 7 Deadly Habits are:

  1. Criticizing
  2. Blaming
  3. Complaining
  4. Nagging
  5. Threatening
  6. Punishing
  7. Rewarding to control (as in manipulating)

The 7 Connecting Habits are:

  1. Caring
  2. Trusting
  3. Listening
  4. Supporting
  5. Negotiating
  6. Befriending
  7. Encouraging

Do you recognize your own actions anywhere in these lists?

I spend many nights laying in bed wondering how I can make tomorrow better. It upsets me dearly to go to sleep knowing that I had so many negative interactions with my children during that day. On some days I could tick all 7 of the Deadly Habits above.

I need to work on this one more.

Thanks for stopping by …

5 comments:

  1. Parenting is a work in progress and something that can be constantly improved. It's hard work! But we can see progress. I hope you don't worry too much, but just resolve to be better, or at least have faith that you will be better. Each day is a new one and full of opportunity!
    Love the new look of your blog and the video of Oman has some stunning landscapes. So very different to Oz, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ouch. I need to work on this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a great reminder -- also, I love the idea of thinking about how to make tomorrow better!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You.mean.those.seven.are.bad...?
    I don't know how I can get through a day without at least a few of those!! ;)
    Parenting is hard work.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this post, I agree with Valerie, what a great reminder!

    ReplyDelete