Tuesday, February 15, 2011

100th Day 2011

Tomorrow is the 100th day of the school year and this is new to me but they celebrate this day at school (I think it is an American thing?). The children in Lulu and Sami’s classes were asked to bring in 100 of something. 100 buttons in a jar, 100 pasta pieces, 100 shells etc.

For our contribution we made a decoration of 100 pieces of fabric.IMG_8293I got out my scrap bins and cut two pieces of each. Out of the 100 pieces 90 of them all tell a story about things I have made for the kids or as gifts for others. For example the green Thomas the Tank fabric was a pair of short I made Sami, the Farmers Market is in a top I made Lulu, the soldiers are in Laith’s quilt, you get the drift Winking smile

The other 10 were scraps from Laila when we did a scrap swap two summers ago but even then I look at them knowing what projects they were used for.  It is a nice way to remember your sewing. I am thinking a quilt has to be done to use scraps of all of these so I can continue to tell the stories to the kids (while I still have my memory!).

Anyway back to my 100 pieces of material decoration it was lots of fun to make and I am sure the kids will enjoy playing with the fabrics so I am sure it was worth all the effort. It can be hung like bunting or just straight down the wall like this …IMG_8298

I got the idea from  This Mamma Makes Stuff blog. I enjoy reading Carries blog and get a lot of inspiration from her posts. I bunched mine up together but left enough string so they could space them out if they wanted to.

Here is Sami holding his which I had to pry out of his little hands as he wanted to sleep with it! IMG_8299

Thanks for stopping by…

1 comment:

  1. well done another wonderful effort put in from Friendship Day pouches to 100th Day, what will you be up to next - sleep. I do believe you are getting the hang of managing 4 children and doing creative activities - well done, XXoo S

    ReplyDelete