Saturday, February 05, 2011

Couch to 5K

Lets ponder on the title for a moment. Couch – yes I know that one, a nice place to sit and catch up some brain numbing TV like my prerecorded episode of Eastenders from the night before – I know, I know, I am sorry I just can’t help myself with that show. 5K … hmmm maybe driving 5 kilometers? What else could it mean?

Couch to 5K (C25k) is a beginners running program put together from the guys over at Cool Runnings. Basically it is a way to get people who are not fit (like me) from the couch up and able to run 5 kilometers (30minute) using a 9 week program. For lots of information and great links go to this site.

A few of the gals over on the Crafty Mamas forum had started this program a few months ago and I was reading along with interest. But there was one big drawback – I hate running! Never liked it at school, never liked it as a form of exercise so why now at the age of 41 would I want to take up running? I guess it is not so much the running as it is the general fitness aspect. Having Eyad with me restricts my ability to go to the gym etc. and very soon it will be hot again and I needed to find something I could do indoors with bub. Enter C25K and my trusty treadmill.

Today I finished day 3 of week 1. You do 3 sessions a week. Week 1 is 30 mins of exercise consisting of a 5 min warm up, a 60 second run followed by a 90 second brisk walk and then that set repeated 9 times, finishing off with a 5 minute cool down. Sounds simple huh? Well let me tell you if you have not exercised in a very long time and you are overweight it most certainly is NOT simple! Winking smile

But I did it! Next week we move onto 90 second runs and 2 minute walks – eek.

I’ll keep you posted!

Did I get in any deceptive cooking today … yes I did!

These scones have butternut squash, and corn in them. IMG_8154

The verdict … IMG_8155

IMG_8157Ok so he ate 3/4 of one but they are pretty big so I was happy with that. The others liked them and now there are another 12 in the freezer for later.

For me you ask, ok you didn’t but I will tell you anyway. WW Thai Fish Cakes.IMG_8159 From the old cookbook which said 4.5 points on the new PP they would be 8 if 4 portions but I poured them into 6 ramekins which reduced the points to 5 each.  These are really nice however I should have cooked them just a little longer and I should have used 2 eggs to bind them better. IMG_8161 Still I loved the taste. I made mine with brown rice and had a little sweet chili on the side. Ali is not keen on Thai style food so I have one for lunch tomorrow and 4 more for the freezer.

Can you believe that Sami and Lulu both slept outside in the tent last night! I didn’t actually think they would stay out there longer than 10 minutes. Of course this meant that Ali had to go sleep with them and let me just say that he looked a little worse for wear this morning and hopped straight into bed when they came in at 6.30am muttering something about the cold LOL.

Thanks for stopping by …

No comments:

Post a Comment