Sunday, June 28, 2009

Scraps are Lovely and Softies in the Making

I need to get going on Laith's quilt but he is not in bed yet so instead I finished a cover for a tin for my sewing desk to keep my sewing weights in. Please don't look too closely at my hand embroidered tag as my stitching is shocking!
Anyway as I was finishing it I sat back and smiled as I thought of all the things it reminded me of ... my sister as I pinched the flower fat quarter from her, Lulu's friend who I made a cushion cover for at Christmas, my Mum's quilt, my first fat quarter order on line from the Fat Quarter shop, a skirt I made, the pins and felt from my sister and then finally as I placed the sewing weights inside I thought of Tracy (Mad Quilter), Crafty Mamas and the little dress I made for Lulu with the green star fabric.

All that when I look at one can! How wonderful is that! An instant smile guaranteed each time I look that way.

Earlier today Lulu, Laith and I started to make some sock softies. I have had these socks in the crate for over a year and today seemed like a good day to try one. We used a lovely book my sister gave me called Sock and Glove by Miyako Kanamori. Auntie Sharon would be most pleased at their efforts! Lulu is making a cat called Melly and Laith is making a monkey called Marcus. We got them cut and sock stitched (I did that on the machine for them) and then they stuffed them. This is the result of today's efforts.
(Melly is pink and Marcus is blue)

OK I had better get a move on with that quilt!

Thanks for stopping by ...

1 comment:

  1. Lovely, lovely, lovely! I wanna come and play at your house! I also bought a sock making book from the internet years ago and from the US. I made a few toys for the kids when they were smaller. Your post just reminded me of that. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete