Monday, June 29, 2009

Quilters - Please Help

I got the top finished tonight for Laith's quilt. I fudged the dimensions a bit for my border but I think it looks OK and I know that my 6 year old won't be standing back and saying "well I think the boarder should have been ...." so I am letting it fly this time.

The end quilt will be around 55" x 48" (140cm x 122cm). I keep messing up my calculations so please anyone tell me how much binding I need to cut?

Also I am not sure how to quilt it and I would appreciate any suggestions. Initially I had thought to stitch around the boxes in the middle panel and then stipple through the borders etc.


BUT I am wondering how that is going to look on the back and I am wondering what colour thread to use?

I want to keep this as simple as possible as I have to work on it at night after he is asleep and it needs to be finished by Wednesday night.

Thanks lovelies I really do appreciate any feedback or suggestions.

3 comments:

  1. Binding 280 plus 244 is 524cm plus a little extra for overlap which is just about 5 widths of the fabric.

    An all over stipple would be the easiest.

    Threads, use a different thread in the bobbin to match the back.. and maybe a verigated thread for the top? Can you get them in Oman.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi. I would recommend a DOUBLE-FOLD binding as this is for a child and will be used and washed a lot. DFB is sturdier.

    Length: For binding cut cross-grain, measure around the outside of the quilt and add 12 inches. This allows for mitering corners and overlapping where the binding starts and stops.

    distance around quilt + 12" = total length needed

    Number of cross-grain strips: Measure the width of the fabric and subtract the width of the strip being cut to get the maximum width available. This allows for seams in the strips). Divide the total length needed by the width available to give the number of strips needed.

    total length needed divided by maximum width available = # of strips.

    There is also a video that is excellent and the way that I have always done mine:
    http://quiltwithus.connectingthreads.com/page/video-1

    It is the third video down I believe. I hope this helps you and let me know!

    As far as quilting: I agree stippling is fun and great. Let me know if you need a vid on that but you could google it.

    As far as thread: I agree with your bud Tracy. Be careful though that if you have tension problems, refer to www.coffeebeansdailies.blogspot.com as you will see that I am currently having, the bobbin thread is good to match the top thread. It is more forgiving, but hey, not necessarily in my case.. hm... You might try the DMC thread they use for the kumas sold at all the pink shops. Im so excited for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks Tracy and Alia. Yes I think an all over stipple is going to be the best. I might see if i can get to Al Hadramy today and see what colours they have. Tracy no we can not get the variegated threads here but i do have some in my maxilock collection so I will go have a look.

    Thanks, feeling more positive about this one this morning.

    ReplyDelete