Let me start by saying that using glitter tulle is very pretty and your little one will ooooh and ahhhh, BUT be prepared to have glitter all over everything and I mean everything, urgh! I made sure that I cut the tulle and made the tutu NOT in my sewing room for that very reason. Even tonight I could see it on my husbands face (mental note - must tell him to wash it off before work tomorrow!). My advise keep it plain ;-)
The first one i made was long and very full.
This is the revised long tutu.
For those living locally here is a rough idea of the cost of this project.
4 metres of tulle (you can get it at Al Hadramy stores a.k.a. the "pink shop")
tulle between .500 - .800 bz per meter
Ribbon sold in 6 yard roll for .500bz.
Tulle RO 3.200 and ribbon .500 total 3.700 and this can make 2 tutu's.
Price per tutu is about RO 1.250 - RO1.850 depending on the tulle you get.
Here is HOW TO MAKE THE NO SEW TUTU
I purchased 1 meter of 5 different colours (3 were glitter ones) it is usually quite wide. I found that the plain one was 52" (130cm) and the glitter one was 60" so you got more out of it. 4 colours is more than enough for a nice full tutu.
Fold your meter over "cut end" to "cut end" (selvedge at side) with the folded part closest to you. Then roll it up. I placed pegs along it to keep it rolled while I cut. I cut out a 3" (7.5cm) piece of cardboard as a template so i didn't have to measure each one with a ruler. Trim off your ends. Then cut every 3".
Take some 1.5" wide satin ribbon and cut about 60" (152cm). Lulu's waist is a little under 20". Place a double knot 20" in from each end (leaving 20" in the middle for the tutu).
If you want a long tutu (20" / 50cm) use one of the strips you just cut.
If you want a shorter tutu (10" / 25cm) then cut one strip in half.
You simply loop the tulle onto the ribbon starting at one end where the double knot is. Take the center point and then bring the two ends through it.
On the short one I have 4 of colour A, then 4 colour B, 4 colour C etc. Then repeat it 4 times. I used 5 colours but 4 is enough. You will have a tutu where the colour is repeated 4 times .
On the long one I would suggest just using 2 of each colour and then space them around evenly. I found when I had 4 of each the tutu was VERY full and might get tangled easily, although Lulu thought that was fantastic and said she felt more like a fairy!
After you have placed all the tulle on the ribbon. Tie it on your child. You can choose if the bow is at the front or the back.
Tulle can be scratchy so I do recommend wearing it over some clothing.
Also when I cut the strips I used pinking shears just for that zig zag effect but it is not necessary.
Happy Dancing Princesses and Fairies!
P.S. You know that Sami must be in all photos LOL
I just love this, I can not believe how tall sami is getting, so he will be taller that Lu Lu
ReplyDeleteWow that is beautiful. My girls would love those! Thanks for sharing. I love the crayons too. You have been very busy
ReplyDelete