Woo Hoo, Yipee, Hooraaa … I am dancing for joy people. Yes, I did it, I finally decluttered and cleaned my sewing room as part of the My 1/2 Dozen Daily challenge. Initially I mentioned in my original post that I would do my bedside draws as the Week One Personal Space challenge but I changed that to the sewing room as I spend any free time I have (ha ha I know) in there so it was important to me to get it cleaned up. The before photos are here but more importantly lets look at the NOW pictures below. Sorry I have taken these at night as I needed to get the pictures over to The Challenge hostess Carla tonight.
I moved the desk and I increased the height as I had originally set it to the ideal height for sewing but that has meant that I get neck and back pain using the laptop and as I am not getting a lot of sewing time in I figured I may as well change it.
Do you remember the mountain of plastic tubs, well now I have almost everything packed into this Ikea Billy bookshelf. I have yet to finish labeling all the containers but as they are mostly transparent so that is not a big issue. (I just love opening the doors and sighing, it all looks so … organised!).
My fabric stash is located in a bookcase and also in the large tubs that also act as my cutting table.
Yes looking at that picture now I see there have been some serious fabric addiction issues in the past.
Living in the desert as such we have very fine sand / dust that gets into everything so I can not leave fabric out. Everything must be put away in containers.
In our bedroom we have a side table that has a rather strange low bench on wheels that sits underneath. As it serves no purpose I took it and placed my machines (CoverPro, Workhorse Janome, and Quilting Janome) on it along with my snap press and button press and a small plastic tub to house the sewing cords and pedals.
When I want them now I can slide it out which is much kinder on my back and the machine. My embroidery machine remained on top of the desk as I don’t like that to get knocked around.
I did keep one of the plastic drawers so that my printer could be off the desk and I also found I still needed room for other larger items that could not fit into the bookcase.
The basket under the desk on the right is my mending / alteration basket which is very high on my list of things to get done this week now that my sewing room feels much calmer and inviting.
Trying to reduce the clutter on my desk is a real challenge. I had these cheap little boxes I got a while back to use for arts and crafts with the kids so I am using two for paper notes and also computer stuff.
So that is it folks, challenge one completed!
It feels great to have a clean creative space again.
Thanks for hanging around for such a boring ho-hum post, lol.
I LOVE your cutting table!!!! That would be perfect for me, except the only space to set it up would be in my office... What an awesome way to stow your stash too!
ReplyDeleteDROOOOLING all over your fabric stash! Wow!!! You did a great job, I'm green with envy over here!! lol!
ReplyDeleteWhat a great idea for the cutting table......and yes,serious fabric addiction. I love it!
ReplyDeleteIt's all looking so wonderfully organised! I love the fresh, spacious feeling after a super clean up.
ReplyDelete