Saturday, January 29, 2011

Sorting the Stash

Fabric stash that is … and oh what a job. For years now I have stored my fabrics in large plastic tubs. Our place gets loads of dust especially with the Wave and Airport constructions so it is important to keep the fabrics stored away.

The problem is having them stored away I tend to forget about them Winking smile

I recently purchased an IKEA billy bookshelf cabinet with glass doors and thought it would make a nice storage solution for my stash.

Slowly (i.e. when the kids and baby let me have 10 minutes) I have been folding my fabrics to fit on the shelves of the new cupboard. IMG_8091

When I took this picture I had 2 boxes done and luckily today I have folded about another half a box. IMG_8092

My question is to all my dear blog readers (ok to the two of you who are reading lol) is ….

HOW DO I SORT IT?????

By colour, type of fabric, yardage, end use, etc. etc. IMG_8093

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for stopping by …

10 comments:

  1. I sort my fabrics by type.

    thats coz when I make a something, i look for type of fabric first then the colour.

    and then of course i go back to the shop and buy more as its not *quite* what I wanted LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Clo, Here's how I have mine sorted
    knits
    cords
    Euro wovens
    other wovens
    bottom weight
    hand dyed

    Then they are sorted by colour.
    I have to say that is soooo good being able to see everything in one place!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also have mine sorted by fabric type.....

    I have all the knits together, than they are also seperated into types of knits....cotton/elastane, fleece, interlock etc

    Then there's the wovens all together and again sorted by type.

    And then there's my real life where I pull it all out and run out of time so I stuff it back wherever ROFL :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. @TCD ROLF I can relate to that.

    Carolyn more? more? that is what my hubby would say ;-)

    Sara thanks might try that.

    oh and then there are the quilting ones too. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  5. i do it by type too. :) woven, knits, cord...and then within that type, boy prints/girl prints. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I sort by type and whether it is for me or the kids. So I have a shelf for my wovens, and one for my knits. Then a draw for the kids knits. There are two shelves for the kid's wovens (sorted by plains/stripes and prints). I have another spare shelf that has really big pieces that don't fit in anywhere nice. They are mostly for me or DH. I don't bother to sort them any further though.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi
    I'm returning the blog visit! I'll be following you to - I need as much inspiration as I can get. I love the bookcase idea, I need some sort of fabric system but at the moment I have it sorted into boys, nappy fabric and girl fabrics so I know what is earmarked for the boys. Then it just thrown into the tub LOL

    ReplyDelete
  8. As predominantly a quilter, all my stash is cotton so I am storing and organizing my stash by color. I have recently learned about collections so those are kept together as well as you will see tomorrow! For you, and your commentators; it defines you all as seamstresses. I think I would also separate by type and then by color and then by use. I probably wouldn't put my cottons mixed with these! hmm...

    ReplyDelete
  9. I sort by colour, but if I have a few fabrics in the same range, I keep them together in a separate area.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Woops, I was talking quilt fabrics, my dressmaking fabrics get sorted by type.

    ReplyDelete