Thursday, January 27, 2011

Deceptively Desperate Chocolate Cake

Today I decided to try the Deceptively Delicious (DD) Chocolate Beet Cake.

dd choco cake rec

I was very skeptical about putting beetroot puree in a chocolate cake and after all the effort of making it and the cream cheese icing / filling I was half expecting to throw the cake in the bin when refused by my fussy trio.

But ladies and gentleman (well I know my brother reads this so there is at least one guy!) it was a success.

dd choco cake eat

Again my version looked very little like Jessica’s but as long as the kids liked it I was not worried.

dd choco beet cake

The cream cheese frosting / filling is quite lush and a small slice is very filling.

The proof is in the pudding which Sami is enjoying heredd choco cake sami

I will freeze up portions of this now so there are some nice healthy-ish treats in the freezer when the kids need a quick fix.

Also on today's menu was DD Rice Balls.

dd rice balls

These took a while to prepare but now that I know what I am doing next time will be a breeze. Sami wolfed these down and let me share with you (she says cackling like an evil witch) what is in these beauties that my kids would normally not eat …

Brown rice, butternut squash puree, potatoes (only because I had not sweet potato puree) and even some broccoli!

I am chuffed because it means that however small an amount Sami ate beetroot, pumpkin and broccoli today!!!!!! YAY!!!!!! Again I have another two meals worth done now for the freezer which will help me on those “what’s for dinner dilemma” nights.

My other culinary effort was to make a meatloaf for me. It was yummy for lunch and now I have several portions ready to go in the freezer too.

Thanks for stopping by …

5 comments:

  1. Well done Clo!
    I actually really like the idea of beetroot in chocolate cake!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have heard of beetroot in chocolate cake before. I'm so glad to know it is nice! This would be good for this household too! Where did you get the book? Love your new blog look!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Alia I got it at Borders, it is on sale at the moment ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. excellent idea!!! how do u find that book n the recipes? i no expert in the kitchen but those rice balls sound yummy that my kids might like them too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yvy I really like the book, lots of choices for my fuzzy munchkins. and suddenly i find myself putting the puree in everything even over the rice base of the quiche tonight LOL

    ReplyDelete