The other day I saw Jessica Seinfeld’s book Deceptively Delicious on sale in Borders and thought … hmmmm maybe I will give this a go again for Sami.
I say again because a few years back I got the Sneaky Chef book and cooked for the kids when Laith was going through his fussy eating stage and it worked well. While flicking through the book I liked some of the recipes and thought it could complement the ones I had already tried from the SC.
My darling Sami refuses outright to eat most foods in fact I can probably name all the foods he will eat in two lines ….
bread, some cereals, peanut butter, nutella, plain chicken, beef sometimes, rice plain, and the occasional egg. Yep that is it. (well except for ice-cream, cakes, chocolate and popcorn of course ).
It pains and stresses me to no end that he has not had any fruit for over a year! Sometimes he will eat banana bread but if you try to put a banana in a smoothie he spits it out like you are trying to poison him (sigh).
So lets get started.
I have made up a couple of purees for the freezer …cauliflower, carrot, butternut squash, and sweet potato. We tried the Mac and Cheese which was good (had cauliflower and butternut).
For dinner last night I tried the Cheesy Chicken Cigars (carrot and butternut purees). I used pita bread instead of tortillas and skeptically mixed in my butternut squash puree. He ate it! I could not believe it.
Is this a fluke?????
Tonight I tried the Egg Bakes (which we renamed egg muffins)
Ummm mine did not look so peppy, lol.
Yet again we had success, I almost cried as I watched him eat. OK so I did bribe him with a chocolate if he could show me that he could eat the whole “muffin” as we called it, but as I said I am desperate!
So thank you Jessica. I know that Missy (SC) got me going a few years ago and now I have both of you to help me try and be a very sneaky and deceptive Mum who can at least go to bed knowing some veggies went into her spirited little one today. Oh and by the way the kids raved about the dinner the last three nights so HURAY!
If you want to give it a try here is the site for the Sneaky Chef with some free recipes on it. And this is Jessica’s site which actually focuses more on her latest book but still there is some info there.
Thanks for stopping by …
This is great news for you all! Yay!!
ReplyDeleteFantastic. My son is fussy (only at dinner though) so I know what you have been going through. I may have to look at getting this book.
ReplyDelete