It has been lost for a long time, sob sob. In the past week I seem to have got back into the groove. I really enjoy sewing, it relaxes me and brings out my creative side. I sit in the evenings and listen to my iPod and stitch away happily usually with no interruptions (mind you while typing this Sami has got out of bed to tell me his toenail hurts!).
At the moment it is pretty mundane stuff like the wipes I did earlier in the week and yesterday I made mattress protectors – woo-hoo pretty exciting heh??
The protectors are for
a) Sami’s bed as we are now without pull-ups at night but I am fearing that first “accident”
b) the baby’s bassinette in case of leaking nappies etc.
c) my side of the bed for any “spilt milk”, I tend to feed bubs in bed too.
They are white PUL on one side for the water resistance and white suede cloth on the other so they will wick away any moisture but of course they are placed beneath the bottom sheet so there is no skin contact. Because PUL can be a little “uncooperative” when sewing I first top stitched them with my walking foot and it was a breeze – gotta love gadgets! And then I serged / overlocked around the edges. On each set I put a different type of ribbon label I had in my stash so they are easily identifiable when putting away the laundry etc and to remind me which way is up, lets face it you are never at your best when changing sheets in the middle of the night or when you are sleep deprived
WHAT’S ON THE TABLE
Lujayne got a lovely baby doll for Eid. His name seems to change daily so for now we just call him “baby”. Well the dilemma has been that he has no “proper bed” as Lulu puts it. I recently purchased a bassinette for the “new arrival” and Lulu wanted something like that …sigh. I remember seeing one in a back issue of Ottobre so I dug it out and after tracing all the pieces today I am cutting tonight.
I have got to say that my belly does not fit against my cutting table like it use to so I work in short stints LOL.
WHAT’S ON THE HOOK
I have found my new interest of crochet to be quiet relaxing when I want to put my nasty swollen feet up for a rest but I don’t feel like reading or I if am with the kids in their room while they are doing puzzles, reading etc and I want to be there but still do something at the same time IYKWIM. This is project number two. Another simple one I might add I have taken a flannel receiving blanket and I am adding a crochet border.
In the tutorial I saw on line she said to use a size 8 hook which is really big and if I tried to put that through the flannel it would make a mess so I am using a 4 which works well with punching the hole but it makes it slower on the second round getting it into the previous stitches.
I have always thought that housework is hazardous to your health and today I was proven right. I was continuing my post-kitchen reno clean up of all the rooms that got stuff moved into them and somehow being the silly ol goose that I am I twisted my knee. It is a little swollen but no major damage I think. Yup, housework it should be banned I say!
Tomorrow Ali will take the kids out to Nizwa and I plan to get as much sewing done as possible, well that is the plan … let’s see.
Thanks for stopping by …
Great to see you making time for crafty endeavours! It's wonderful when you can have the house to yourself for a while, I usually get caught in the trap of "I'll just fold this washing first, then I might as well sweep the floor...." Unfortunately the sewing gets left until last. A huge belly is a great excuse to avoid housework though! :D
ReplyDeleteBa Humbug to you. The projects look great, I wanted to make some matress protectors too but with a shower curtain!! I'm off to Dubai this morning with my ma, did you want those Ikea storage boxes?
ReplyDeleteOh and by the way, I fell outside the alfair next to your house yesterday, my trolley went zooming down the slope and nearly got run over by a car,,, but get this no one stopped to help me!!!!! oh and one more thing, I was wearing a SKIRT!
Bravo!! Sew-Jo is very near and dear to us isn't it!? I'm happy for you! The projects look impressive! Where did you get your PUL and other fabric stash, not here????
ReplyDeleteLaila, sorry to hear about your fall I wonder if they security cameras outside the store and I could take a grab for You Tube it will go well with the "chasing a cat on the highway" one I have threatened to upload!
ReplyDeleteAlia, yes the PUL and Suedecloth are from my nappy making days. I have worked on this doll carry cot all day, it is a tough slog as it is Ottobre which is a great mag but very slim on instructions and no pictures so I always struggle a bit. Bit like reading Ikea instructions after a few drinks to be honest LOL. My time is running out as they will be on their way home now and I am stuck on the pattern so heading over to Crafty Mamas to see if someone can help.