Saturday, August 03, 2013

Mountain Trails and the Aquarium

Today we took a small hike through the Smokey Mountains National Park which was not too far from where we are staying. We stopped at the Sugarlands Visitors Center and then took a trail from there out to Cataract Falls. 


The trail was just right for a little family as it is mostly flat and not too long. It had some great short cuts you could take like the nice old log across the stream. 



The falls are not big but still nice to get a little wet. 



Once at the falls Ali decided to take the kids up the very slippery hillside to the top of the falls. I stayed down the bottom stressing out that one of them was going to slip and come tumbling down the hill into the falls.  I am happy to report that made it back in one piece albeit very muddy. 


We then took another nature trail which took us up to an old cabin where we stopped and had a snack. 


After our snack we followed the trail back to the visitors center and I would say all up we were out there for about 2 hours. 

Lunch was in order so we headed back to Gatlingburg to refuel and then go to the Aquarium. 


The Aquarium was by far the best I have ever seen, I know the pictures will not do it any justice particularly the faces on the kids as Nurse Sharks and Sawfish swam over them. At one stage a stingray flew towards the glass and scared Laith out of his skin. 


This is Lulu about to pose with her Puffer Fish expression when suddenly she turned and there was one just over her that made her jump. 




I loved that there was a conveyor belt that you stand on which forced the kids to slow down and enjoy the experience. 






Lulu loved the penguins the best. 




It was a great day and we came home quite exhausted. 

As we are in the territory I couldn't help but buy some Moonshine ... eeek it is 40% proof.


I'll let ya'all know how that one works out tomorrow!

Thanks for stopping by ...




1 comment: