Thursday, July 07, 2011

Breaking Things

It is not often that you give your kids free reign to break things but this week we have enjoyed “deconstructing” things for the greater purpose of learning and just generally having fun.

de·con·struct/ˌdēkənˈstrəkt/Verb

1. Analyze (a text or a linguistic or conceptual system) by deconstruction, typically in order to expose its hidden internal assumptions and contradictions and subvert its apparent significance or unity.

2. (in general use) Dismantle

Next week we are building a robot and we plan to use the recyclables that we have been keeping.  This week I started cleaning out in an attempt to declutter our home so there were a few things that I thought I could give the kids to deconstruct.

image

The other day Laith had a good time taking apart a computer keyboard and he saved the keys and the plastic insides for our robot.

Today it was video tapes. Recently I picked up a few at the school book fair for next to nothing and I took them to the local photo shop and had them transferred onto DVD and now there is no need to keep the tapes.

IMG_9148

Kids learn a lot by being able to take apart things that are seen as a mystery to them on how they work. Great for problem solving and motor skills too.

IMG_9144

And then really it can be just plain fun!

IMG_9143

Sami was interested in cutting up the ribbon.

As we came across different parts the kids would suggest ideas on how they could be used for the robot. Look at Lulu thinking about these reels.

IMG_9149

Of course I had to stress to Sami that this was a special activity and that we normally we would not take screwdrivers to our things … he makes me very nervous Winking smile .

Thanks for stopping by …

1 comment:

  1. LOL! Yep - tomorrow you'll find the computer in pieces...
    Or with toast in the mother board...
    But they are learning SO much doing this! Kudos to you!

    ReplyDelete