Monday, January 11, 2010

Embarking on Challenge #1 – 2010 Sewing Challenges

I have decided on a skirt as my first challenge for the year. I blogged about Carolyn’s Challenge (button on side bar) here but I was not sure what to do given that the theme is “something for me”.

A bag, yes a bag I thought - easy. No wait, that is not a huge challenge for me, however garment sewing for myself is new territory. So it’s water-wings on and a big jump into the deep end my friends as I am going to sew an Ottobre skirt.

Issue 02/2007. Number 8 a 10-gored skirt and underskirt. Photo0053 I traced the pattern today, prewashed and ironed my fabric and lining (fabric from stash a cotton flower print but I had to run out and get lining), and tonight I cut the pieces.

Already I have hit a snag as it calls for Petersham Ribbon and they don’t sell that here so I shall have a look around my Al Hadramy’s and see if I can’t find some kind of substitute.  I met a lovely lady here recently and saw her last week and she was telling me about her garment sewing skills. Because we have met through someone else I don’t have her phone number but I did give her my blog, so Nikki if you happen to read this please call me so I can pick your talented brain ;-)

I will keep you posted on the progress.

Oh and I got some lovely fabrics yesterday but I have not taken any pictures yet … just a little tease for the next post!

Last night we had RR lady Bug pizzas – a big hit. I roasted up some tomato and eggplant for the base with a little pesto, yummo. Tonight it was RR Ghoulash and TICK another great hit. Laith said at the end of the meal, “Rachel Ray you have done it again” (ummm ok but just remember someone had to cook it sunshine!).

Thanks for stopping by …

9 comments:

  1. good start for new year....looking forward to see your finish...

    petersham ribbon...i didn't know it's name..
    ..did you ask hadramy in that name...i don't think they know that name...if you have a sample just show them that...i got this from a shop like hadramy in dubai...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck! I suppose by now the mornings we were getting together are not happening anymore? that is cool. Are you traveling this summer? Cant wait to see your finished project!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cant wait to see it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ohh this is exciting and i cant wait to see your skirt.

    Good luck with it :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. can't wait to see the finished skirt.

    You know I am not a huge fan of Rachel Ray, don't know why, just not that keen on her.

    Gill in Canada

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm just a new reader to your blog, but I'm in the same 12 months challenge, I'm hoping to have my AMH socialite dress or the MIP versatile wrap as the project for me (to be finished by the end of the month) .. Otherwise the easy way out is to finish a cushion I'm working on! :) Can't wait to see your skirt! Mel xox

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can´t wait to see your new skirt!
    Have a nice day!

    ReplyDelete
  8. ..if you have a sample just show them that...i got this from a shop like hadramy in dubai...

    Work from home India

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey, how's the skirt coming along, can't wait to see it!

    ReplyDelete