Saturday, February 06, 2010

Mending …

Do people mend these days or are clothing items so cheap that they just toss them?

I spoke to someone recently and she said she never mends. As soon as there is a little hole or tear they are out into the rubbish. She said there is not point passing them onto goodwill as they are damaged. This is a valid point as many charities (not necessarily here in Oman) do discard any clothing that has holes etc but that is mostly because they are sold to the public in charity shops.

I could not help but think what a pity and waste given that clothing does tend to rip and tear pretty easily these days and with the hard water here I don’t think that helps. What if there was a group of ladies who were prepared to mend the clothing????

No I am not about to embark on another project. But I will make an effort to try and mend any clothing we have here before it gets beyond repair.

Sami came home last week with a nice big rip in the front of his jeans near the knee. I zigzagged them but it looked unsightly so I dug into my “I can’t throw anything out” box and found these two appliqués I had embroidered onto a baby blanket of his. I cut them out and stitched them onto the jeans.

sami jeans  - Copy

What do you think? Still passable for nursery school?

I still have a pair of pants to hem, and two pairs of wear-around-the-house pants to mend due to rips (one occurred yesterday when I tripped over a bike while running out onto the road to catch my runaway toddler …sigh).

Thanks for stopping by …

6 comments:

  1. The jeans are absolutley still serviceable...I mend to a certain degree - the amount of times I have fixed up torn seams in the bums of pants I cant tell you! But there comes a point where in my opinion its time to go! And I hate alterations too...

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow...i love this aplique...

    I try to mend the torn stuff if it is still wearable. Once i machine darned my torned dupatta and it was fine...the duppatta's are the pretty accesories that we wear with salwar...and it is not very visible even if we mend it...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I now have a basket that has stuff in it to be mended but I have not yet gotten around to it! Love what you did with the jeans, very him!

    You're on a roll, I am uber jealous!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Laila can I send the rest of my mending over your way then??? Hubby just gave me two more pants to hem last night LOL

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hate waste and the thought of all those clothes going into the bin is maddening! I grew up in a house where everything was darned and re-darned within an inch of it's life...I'm not like that, but if it is possible I always try to mend things first, but if mending is not an option, I cut the buttons, zips or nice embroidery etc off to use on another project. It's a lovely habit i caught from my mother I believe! :) I haven't had to buy buttons for anything since 1995.

    ReplyDelete
  6. they are so cute and perfect for nursery school...

    Gill in Canada

    ReplyDelete