**Long Post**
Those of you who know me well know that I am a “dog person”. It is not that I don’t like cats, its just that I prefer dogs. I have had some lovely dogs growing up and they were such great companions and fun that cats have always seemed … well a little boring, if you know what I mean. So the big news is that the “dog person” has caved in to the families constant requests and got a cat!
We welcome Shooey to our family and hope that he fits into our crazy life here in the Al Abri clan. I have considered a cat on and off over the past two years as the kids have asked repeatedly for one and Ali has always wanted to get one but I was not “actively looking” yesterday when Lujayne and I met Shooey.
We were at a lovely lady's house picking up some things and while I was chatting with her Lulu was playing with the cat. They got along like old friends from the word go. I was surprised by his lovely nature and even more surprised when he played fetch with her! yes, he has a little mouse toy that he brings to you, you throw, and he brings it back – go figure! Christine raises money for animal welfare here in Muscat and if you see her on Omanbay as “Chrisa” please know that the money raised from her items supports this very good cause. She was telling us that she rescued Shooey and he had been with her for two months as she could not bear to part with him. The only thing is that she had two other cats and they did not get along so it was a juggling act for her. She is also due to take a rescued dog on Saturday which would add some interesting dynamics to the house (bless her!). Anyway sorry to babble on but in the end I was asking if she could let me know if she comes across any cats like Shooey as his type of temperament would be perfect for the kids. By the time we left she was so taken with Lulu and Shooey hitting it off so well that she offered him for adoption to us. Long story short we went and picked him up today and he is lovely!
He is about 1 year old. He is terrified of other cats due his hard battered life on the streets but it is obvious that before his street life he must have been someone's pet as he is very good with people, house trained and very open to lots of cuddles. The kids spent the afternoon entertaining him. Laith did not leave his side and he just beams when he he is with Shooey. Mind you on the way home in the car Laith started itching and I thought he was crying as Shooey was a little unsettled in the cat box. When we got home I noticed Laith was covered in red splotches over his neck and face – OMG could he be allergic to cats I thought. We got him washed and I quickly googled cat allergies and found out there are five types. One is from cats urine and Shooey had peed himself in the box on the way home so he was a little messy when we took him out even though I wiped him with a towel. Laith was beside himself worried that he was allergic and that Shooey would have to go back so I washed Shooey’s box etc and then tried to wash Shooey. He was not very excited about that as you can imagine. Anyway I am pleased to say that Laith recovered quickly and after spending all his time with the cat he did not flare up again so fingers crossed on that one.
Sami of course followed the poor thing around and at one stage made a grab for his hair or tail. Well Mr Shooey have him a swipe which didn’t hurt Sami but it scared him well and good. We had to laugh as Sami terrorises poor Lujayne with hair pulling and finally he met his match in Shooey. Now they are the best of friends.
So here is to our new adventures with Shooey. We feel very honoured that Christine felt us trustworthy enough to take care of him and we will with all our heart.
Thanks for stopping by, three posts in one night was asking a lot I know ;-)
I think Shooey is one lucky cat to end up in a caring home like yours !
ReplyDeleteCONGRATULATIONS! I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE cats and have three myself! Two Persians indoors and one abandoned one outside.
ReplyDeleteI hope no one suffers from allergies from lovely Shooey! Great name too!
The kids are so excited for you all and want to meet him soon and see you all again!
Congrats and I am here if you ever have any questions; I'll do my best to help!!