Monday, October 03, 2005

Laith goes to school!



Last month Laith started “school” (well it’s nursery or in Oz they would say kindergarten, but we call it school because that is what he calls it!!). Anyway it was a big decision on my part to send him as I felt 2 years and 2 months was a little early but we found on our holidays that he loved going off to Kids Club on the ship and in the hotels so maybe it was time for some more social interaction. There are not as many “mother’s groups” here so his lack of little play mates was a concern.

After interrogating 4 nurseries I decided to go for this one as he has a lovely Omani teacher, Nasima, and she has a small class of 6 who only go 3 days a week so I liked the intimate environment. Then he mixes with the other classes for playtime and snack-time etc. So every Sat, Mon and Wed, Ali takes him on the way to work and drops him off at 8am and then I collect him at 12 noon.

Day 1 was awful! He had been to visit the nursery a few times when I was doing his paperwork and he was excited to go, but me …. I was not ready!! Yep, the crying started in the shower!! I put it down to pregnancy hormones, well that’s my excuse anyway! The plan was I would stay with him for 2 hours for the first few days to ensure he settled in but when we got there he just ran off to play and did not look back. Meanwhile I had to leave the play area to have another cry – useless! So I decided it was best for me to leave him to it and just go. Well a month has passed and he just loves school, in fact most days he is hurrying Dad along to get going!! (Except the one day when Uncle Col, Aunty Sharon and Uncle Silvio were here!) and I love the three mornings of peace, well at least for another month until bub arrives.

The photo is of Laith’s first day.