Wednesday, June 02, 2010

Kitchen Progress

A couple of months ago Ali decided it was time to get the extension of our kitchen repaired as it had received some structural damage in the Gonu cyclone almost two years ago. It had been temporarily repaired and to be honest it didn’t even bother me.

Initially I was against the idea of building through the summer months but then he pointed out that after the summer we would have a new baby and I would be even more against building at that time, which reluctantly I had to agree with him and I started the packing and moving.

We moved out of the extension first and then a few weeks later I had to move everything so they could work on the remodel of the main kitchen. In my naive state I thought they were just going to remove the cupboards and I was not prepared for what was to come.

Here are some pics of the main kitchen before demolition. kitchen before 1 kitchen before 2kitchen before 3(you can see where the old and door and window were that lead into the extension were as they are boarded up with brown covers).

It is pretty much a typical Omani kitchen with tiled floors / walls and aluminium cupboards that can take a lot of abuse even by well meaning housemaids who “hose” out the kitchens to clean them :-0 .

They took no time to rip into the kitchen. I had jackhammers going most of the day … finally they stopped. KIP extension door (that is the door / now archway that leads to the extension)

KIP outside stairs Those steps will be the new entrance.

KIP outside windowsI mentioned to Ali that maybe we should change the position of the kitchen door as it use to be part of the extension but it would be better suited coming off the main kitchen for space reasons. The next day I found the whole wall was gone! kitchen in progress 1

(there use to be a wall there!)

Ali also decided that this was a great opportunity to build more storage. Seriously in the days that the builders were construction this section I stood and watched from the window scratching my head as I had NO idea what Ali had in mind LOL!KIP storage up This is the extension which will be our “working kitchen area” with the stove, fridge, freezer. sink etc. And that ladder goes up into the new storage loft.

The outcome of this new storage is that we now have a tunnel in our back yard and not too many people can say that I think???? …

tunnel and storage

tunnel other sideI went to several kitchen shops here in Muscat but they keep such limited stock that we were looking at a minimum wait of 3 months … sigh. We don’t have an IKEA here but there is one in Dubai so I have spent the last week designing an IKEA kitchen online and we will go to order it soon.

I have discovered that I am not really great at this home building stuff and for the sake of our marriage I now hope that we never go through a new build together ;-)

Thanks for stopping by …

3 comments:

  1. Wow Clo! That is one major reno! I dunno why, but it seems more disruptive than mine...although there were plenty of annoying things here.

    It will all be good in the end!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Would you believe that it was closer to three years ago and considering that we might have another one hit over the next 40 hours,please forgive me as I *iss my pants laughing at the timing of your post!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness! I bet it will be beautiful.

    ReplyDelete